Thursday 29 November 2012

Tantrums ahoy !!


Butter wouldn't melt would it??
I used to be so happy with my tantrum free children.. I should be, I had 5 little ones and not one has had a tantrum at the store, or in the car or really, anywhere... Until recently.

Do you see that little guy pulling the cheeky face? That's my 2 and a half year old son Elias. Sweet huh... Butter SURE wouldn't melt... yeah right !

Over the past 2 weeks he has mastered the art of fake whinging/crying. He can turn it on and off at will and he's SUPER stubborn. When he wants to fake cry nothing will stop him, no teasing, no laughing, no bribery.. You can't even ignore the guy cos he follows you around holding onto your clothes with his fake no tears cry. You can get his attention and he'll suddenly stop crying to look, but then again it starts when he realises HEY i'm meant to be crying !

Today at the store was my first ever experience of a child having a tantrum.. even if it is a FAKE crying tantrum like his was. I was so frustrated and embarrassed. Of course little old ladies try to help with their comments ooohhh he's had enough shopping or oh poor little man what's wrong? of course nothing breaks through to Mr Fake Tantrum. *sigh* From the very second we were out of the car to the second we went back into it I had to listen to waaaaaaa with no tears.

Would you like a toy? NO, would you like a yoghurt? NO, would you like to help me? NO... None of the usual joys of shopping would stop the cry. The second we got into the car the fake cry stopped and he asked me why we are going home! can you believe! Needless to say he didn't get a reply and I just drove on home to safety.

How do you deal with this type of behaviour? are there any magical tricks up your sleeve to stop a tantrum in it's tracks? This is so new to me and I was so shocked to find I didn't know what I was meant to do, what to say or really what I was doing.

I'd love to hear from you on this. Has your child mastered the fake cry? 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be moderated and approved shortly.